Radiation Free Lakeland are no lovers of the BBC’s recent coverage of nuclear issues…so we were extremely guarded when approached by Panorama. Following reassurance that this would be an “expose” we have contributed to the programme with documents leaked to us by brave whistleblowers. We hope against hope that the programme will do what it says on the tin and does indeed go some small way to “uncover the truth.”
Several results should follow on from the airing of this programme, if it is an honest account of Sellafield’s shocking and ongoing ‘legacy’….
- No New Nuclear Build – No Moorside.
- No more nuclear waste should arrive at Sellafield
- If the industry cannot contain the wastes safely above ground what chance below ground? The “implementation of geological disposal” should be scrapped and instead the industry should look at long term interim storage on existing sites.
- A public inquiry into “decommissioning” and the resulting dispersal of wastes to the environment
- Immediate halt to reprocessing.
Panorama: Sellafield’s Nuclear Safety Failings is broadcast on on BBC1 on Monday at 8.30pm.
If you missed it ..catch up here http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07v80s4/panorama-sellafields-nuclear-safety-failingsBBCiplayer